The Wonderful World of OZ

citytrader

And here, as threatened promised are some night screens for this same section of Kansas...

Hat's Fantastic Millinery Shop...

FMl49Qh.jpeg

Hailey's Haberdashery...

BQSn2Ae.jpeg

The Hungry Dragon Chinese Restaurant and Sushi Palace...

ekECyr7.jpeg

MGM Grand Theater...

FTHh3yA.jpeg

One can almost hear the sticky floors...

nv0GzCe.jpeg

Kansas Chocolate Shoppe and the Coffee Shop and Bakery (I'm kinda proud of how the chocolate and coffee shop signs turned out...)

gGxeyVr.jpeg

Baum's Wonderful World of Books...

AQZH2w4.jpeg

Fully detailed interior...

GfSz14X.jpeg

Ray's Barbershop...fully detailed billboard image.

xy5Z0iC.jpeg

and City Drug...

s5v9z1A.jpeg

BORfsIO.jpeg

Now...don't wander too far off 'cause we still have a whole 'nother block of shops to look at! 

But we'll take a break so yer eyeballs can rest from all this awesomeness...

Edited by Wabigbear
  • Like 2

I like the Hungry Dragon. Just add a Chinese-style awning, decorative windows and doors, a few hanging lanterns, slap some red (lead) paint on the front, and what started out as a typical mid-west store front becomes a bit of the Orient... well, Americanized Orient.

On the Theater marquee, who is this Garland Bolger fellow you speak of? 😛

I love the curved bay window on Baum's...Books. It gives it a very bookstore-ish look.

Hmmm, the Barbershop always seems to be closed. Not sure what that means.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Sorry about the pause...  I came down with pneumonia and had a lovely two week vacation in the hospital.  But I'm back!

We'll continue our stroll down Main Street Kansas...

Just past Hamilton's Department Store we find the American Florist shop...

puGjx2K.jpg

In the middle of the street is the memorial statue to L. Frank Baum...

LGN1e08.jpg

Just around the corner is Bert's Cafe...

fHgRhOd.jpg

Thorpe's Hardware is next, where you can pick up your Wonderful World Of Oz-themed souvenir can of 10-40w oil or find the right tool to tighten your nuts...

K6G0fZp.jpg

The County Notary Office...

xHeOsHC.jpg

The town Mercantile for all your grocery needs...

OfGYPXa.jpg

A Dentist office and a small hotel for travelers to this fair city...

UJHXoNE.jpg

Watch Repair Shop is next door...

ZMdKyyh.jpg

The Railway Express Office ends this block...

YYcxLnW.jpg

Almira Gulch's Mansion dominates the end of the block as she does life in the county.  Her infamous bike stands ready...

p96Y89v.jpg

Miss Gulch doesn't welcome many visitors...

RPTXYGD.jpg

Edited by Wabigbear
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Pneumonia is nasty business; glad you kicked it... and not the bucket. Welcome back!

I like the lion logo homage above Bert's Cafe. I'd try one of Bert's burgers... but I'm such a coward.

"or find the right tool to tighten your nuts...". Umm, I think I'll just let that one be.

Almira needs to hire someone to paint her mansion and tidy up her yard. But I'm sure she would be aghast at the thought of spending even one penny on such foolishness.

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind remarks gentlemen!

To finish up our look at Main Street Kansas, here's some night-time images...

WZlt30i.jpeg

Dogs are not allowed at any Gulch owned property or facility...

miK7kf3.jpeg

Gulch Savings & Loan...

VBNu1wH.jpeg

If Gulch Bank won't give you a loan, there's always the handy Gulch Pawn Shop next door...

7IyLu21.jpeg

Justa Momento has a little more period-appropriate sign I made...

wrXINHR.jpeg

The Baum Museum...

z0cZNY6.jpeg

Kansas Cases and Bags...

GmIXNRG.jpeg

Hamilton's Department Store...

8BVhzWr.jpeg

There's still a rack of Dorthy Gale dresses on sale...wonder if they have my size?

zS1AjXF.jpeg

Candle-light dining at Bert's Cafe...

4lTnRXl.jpeg

Anyone with a desire for late-night screwing or cleaning their pipes is in luck at Thorpes...

9lrUaEy.jpeg

Grab a half a roast chicken and a gallon of milk after you're done next door at the Mercantile, or get your teeth straightened at the dentist...

NL9oZW9.jpeg

Make sure you're always on time at our watch repair shop...

l2RnT1S.jpeg

The Railway Express Office anchors the end of this block...

JWxUsId.jpeg

Almira Gulch is so cheap she eats her nightly meal of cold oatmeal and saltine crackers by lamplight in her room - the rest of the house remains unlit and unheated...

TQDbqck.jpeg

Edited by Wabigbear
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I like how the door to the Bank resembles a medieval castle portcullis to guard the money inside.

"There's still a rack of Dorthy Gale dresses on sale...wonder if they have my size?"  Oh, let's hope not.:classic_tongue:

"Anyone with a desire for late-night screwing or cleaning their pipes is in luck at Thorpes..."  Oh dear...

For a second, I thought the small sign next to the Mercantile sign said "Banned Goods". Now I'm wondering what sort of goods are banned, and who has the chutzpah to sell banned items that go against Almira Gulch's decrees.

The town has a completely different vibe at night. Nice update!

• Haha 2

Just when you think this project can't get any more gorgeous... the details on those street buildings and storefronts are insane. Hard to believe this is even Planet Coaster anymore!

• Love 1

there's this illusion of the reality, but it's not really really real, like it's beside and inside and inside and beside, but never on top.. nevermind, just kidding but not really

Thanks for the kind comments - much appreciated!

Citytrader and I trade off working on each bench.  On this one Citytrader had laid out most of Main Street and it's structures, then I pretty much created the entrance area, the parking lots and part of the the backstage area.  At one time the entrance had a very different look - I had the idea to have a sub-area devoted to MGM and Hollywood - guests would even enter a version of Grahman's Chinese Theater to access a studio tour showcasing the making of the Wizard of Oz (you can still see glimpses of this idea with the collection of soundstage buildings). 

Then we decided to scrap that idea and concentrate more on following the Goddard Group plans for the park.  Once I finished the front part of the park, Citytrader tweaked things there and finished off placement of the Main Street buildings and started building Gale Farms and Marvel's World areas along with Munchkinland.  Once he was done we traded off, I added a structure or two to his work, then added some details to his great base structures.  Yes, we do tweak each other's work, but our styles are pretty much in sync anyways so it's always an improvement to the others work.

Since we needed to break up the park into multiple benches (mostly due to those 'details' I sometimes get carried away adding...LOL! ), it's allowed each of us to work at our own pace on different areas.  For instance, the Haunted Forest area I've been working on, along with the Emerald City bench while Rich has been doing great things on the Yellow Brick Country bench. 

Works out great because it allows us to do things like create TMTK items for the park as we go (now at 535 pieces...yikes!)

• Love 1
  • Wow 1