The Wonderful World of OZ

citytrader

SIX. MONTHS.

I've no doubt the long wait while you made sandwiches will be well worth it! Just earlier today I was thinking about this project in particular.... "I wonder if they'll ever come back to that" was the thought. Then I sign in and lo, dare mine eyes deceive me? An update! The universe is kind, sometimes 🥳

• Like 1

kQngDQ2.png

Hey, we required a LOT of sammiches!   And of course Citytrader insists that the crusts all be removed and they are cut on the diagonal...twice.

That's wonderful to hear that you had just thought about this project! 

You're one up on Citytrader who probably hasn't even thought about getting out of bed today...

• Haha 1

We'll start our tour where everyone does...in the parking lots.  Nothing much has changed in this part of the park.  Here we see the main surface parking (ohhhhh....ahhhhh!),  with toll plazas for entering and exiting (ohhhhh-ahhhhh!), the multi-story parking garage at center (ohhhhh-ahhhhhh!), the tram that circles the garage and heads out to pick up and drop off guests (ohhhh-ahhhh!).  Then towards the right there's bus drop off area (ohhhh-ahhhh!) in front of the main entrance (ohhhhh-ahhhhh!)...

20240225154818_1.jpg.80cbdd2d0a3fec30dae9a84f1f427a26.jpg

Exciting, ain't it?  Now I don't want to over-do the hype and get everyone over-excited, so it's only one screen for now!  

Edited by Wabigbear
  • Like 2

Here, in all it's glory, we have the other side's parking lot!  (ohhhh-ahhhh!)  This lot is used both by park guests and cast members.  This lot is also served by a tram to ferry guests and workers to the park's entrance plaza.  There's also a service road that gives access to the backstage areas, where costuming, maintenance, food services, etc. are housed in warehouses (ohhhh-ahhhh!).  You can also just make out the taller CW.Inc Corporate building, the park's corporate headquarters (ohhhh-ahhhh!)...my office is across the hall from the cafeteria.

20240225154829_1.jpg.34fad2fc3190b3c0c78b66dfdad9cd8f.jpg

Edited by Wabigbear
  • Like 1

"my office is across the hall from the cafeteria".  Do enjoy your crustless, quartered (diagonally) sammiches. (I'm sure Citytrader gave the cafeteria strict orders to serve all sandwiches thus.)

The parking areas and adjacent structures look realistic in their design and landscaping. 👍

• Like 2

Well, we'll now head for the main entrance area.  Here's the new park centerpiece that I showed up above...

FiJk4j3.jpg

Right behind it is a Photo Spot...

DHb79QH.jpg

A handy information booth waits to assist you...

0WtkJmK.jpeg

Park maps are available, you can also download one to your phone...yes, the QR code works...

oB6UMyL.jpg

Multiple ticket booths ready to serve you, and beyond is the main entrance...

hrl9Bys.jpeg

Edited by Wabigbear
  • Like 3

I like the abundance of colorful flowers around the centerpiece and information booth. It evokes the Technicolor Munchkinland. Good grief! A working QR code? I can't decide if that's a stroke of genius or a sign of a hopeless overachiever or just a sign of having a stroke! 😛

• Haha 2

Citytrader voted for either of your last two options...

Now that moment you've been waiting for with baited breath!  (And someone here's breath does in fact smell like bait...who had sardines for lunch???)  The Park Entrance...

CSHMaeb.jpeg

Once inside we are transported back to a small mid-western town in Kansas...circa 1938...

0idFZbS.jpeg

Ignore the storm clouds or the funny shaped silos in the distance...  Since most people tend to start their tour by turning right, we'll buck that trend and start by going to the left...contrarians as always... 

The town fire hall starts off this street...

IBMBthO.jpeg

Helpful signs in case you don't know where you are...  Ahead the first MANY locales to quench your thirst or hunger and lighten your wallet...

xognX4o.jpg

The Bijou Theater next door offer ice-cooled air while relaxing watching assorted features...

s0aYjli.jpg

Not sure which 'holiday' is currently being featured...

"More to come..."

Edited by Wabigbear
  • Like 2

I like how the architecture is about thirty years later than yer typical Disney Main Street. It looks like many mid-west towns, even today. A mixture of early 1900s and New Deal era buildings.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yes, he's back! (Me, of course!)

Truth be told, my mother had a bad fall around Halloween, shattered her femur, and I have had to take time off from both work (no loss there) and my personal life to become primary caregiver. My wife wondered who the strange guy coming into the house every few weeks for a night and then disappearing was. I even bought a beautiful laptop to take with me so I could putter around in my free time. Never even turned it on! 

She's OK now, and my brother and I finally convinced her to move near the two of us, she lived five hours-three states away, and she is settled in nicely. Stubborn 90 something year old woman! Her grandmother lived to be 104, and she intends to beat her record! Told her she'll probably outlive me!!! 😆

Anyway, enough personal drama. As Wagi mentioned, I "finished" Main Street, so of course he added about 20,000 bits and pieces! Looks pretty good though! And he wasn't kidding about 400 new CS pieces, as you'll see!

Edited by citytrader
  • Love 1
  • Care 1

Posted (edited)

Continuing down First Street, there's McKenzie's Music and Kansas Travel Agency;

20240302073859_1.jpg

Kansas Sporting Goods, and the world renowned Gulch Gazette;

20240302073959_1.jpg

Today's edition;

20240302074048_1.jpg

At the corner is a small Toy Shoppe, and the alleyway that leads to the horse barn. Thank goodness that's set downwind!

20240302074117_1.jpg

Edited by citytrader
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Another streetcar is being inspected prior to entering the park proper;

20240302080447_1.jpg

Horses will be horses!

20240302080509_1.jpg

Behind First Street is the storage area for street sweepers, mowers, trash removal, and a cherry picker for changing light bulbs;

20240302080702_1.jpg

Edited by citytrader
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about your mom, but glad she's doing ok now.

Haha! Love the front page of the newspaper. Funny how all the townspeople have a pole up their ass. It's probably indicative of something, but I will refrain from guessing. (I bet it has something to do with that mean ol' Almira Gulch!)

• Haha 2

Candy Emporium?... I'm there! And I see you have cotton candy; my favorite! I like the rich brown color of the shop. It looks looks like it's made of chocolate and Tootsie Rolls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just past the Candy shoppe there's a Magic Store, and next to it is Fleming's Cigar Store...

efi754h.jpg

Above is the Kansas Hotel and next door is Vidor's Kansas Butcher Shop...

oQkcQpp.jpg

Rounding up this short block is Hats Fantastic, for all your chapeau needs...the Millinery Store is upstairs

vklRIjD.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm, I wonder about the practicality of having a butcher shop in a theme park. It looks great and all but... Do guests carry a side of beef around with them all day? Maybe the meat is animatronic, harvested from animatronic animals. 😛

• Haha 2