The Wonderful World of OZ

citytrader

Well, any self respecting town in the Midwest is going to have a butcher! The theme park version sells jerky. But I like the idea of animatronic sandwiches!!!

Continuing around the square, the imposing Hamilton's Department store;

20240302094637_1.jpg

20240302094654_1.jpg

I wonder if Hamilton's has a cosmetics counter? Thirty-two shades of GREEN makeup. The department store looks like it was made from Shyguy's RCT3 Main Street sets... sort of.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So everyone is probably wondering, "gee all this main street stuff is great, but where the heck are the rides?"

We'll take a short break from our tour of main street to showcase one of the fun areas of the park;

20240307215325_1.jpg

20240307215403_1.jpg

In the original Goddard plans, Professor Marvel's World was to be a carnival type area with lots of games and rides. Located at the west end of the Kansas area, it showcases a number of fun family oriented attractions such as Marvel's Marvelous Monte Leone;

20240307215526_1.jpg

Marvel's Magnificent Carousel;

20240307215602_1.jpg

Or Marvel's Death Defying Trapeze;

20240307215915_1.jpg

You might even get a chance to meet the Professor himself!

20240307221739_1.jpg

Edited by citytrader
  • Like 1

I want to mention that the horse-drawn streetcar is a tweak of the Parisian Tramway by 爬到墙上等红杏 from the Workshop. 

I tweaked the sides to make it open-air, shortened it, added steps, opened the ends, lowered the roofline and switched it from electricity to horse-power of course.  It was a wonderful creation to base our streetcar off of!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As Wagi has mentioned, we have used blueprints off the workshop, usually heavily modified by one of us.

The Monte Leone shell is by 89James89, and the Waltzer below is by Fisherman, both tweaked for our purposes.

Here's Marvel's Musical Waltzer;

20240307215758_1.jpg

Or how about a spin on Marvel's Marvelous Wheel?

20240307215708_1.jpg

There is also a full service restaurant located in the area;

20240307220020_1.jpg

20240307215950_1.jpg

Edited by citytrader
  • Like 2

just  few observations that I've made ....

Has anyone noticed the "sudden" disappearances of cows from the Gale Farm ???

Gulch Gazette is an old rag that I wouldn't even use to line the floor of my dog pen ... such a waste of good newsprint

Has anyone noticed the "sudden" appearances of a butcher shop and leather shop (and them being located SO CLOSE to each other) ... hmmmm

AND JUST where is the Clampett whittling shop at ???

• Haha 1

Ahh my favorite thing about this project are your structures and buildings - they are SO good. Loving the theming and all the little details everyone is picking up on! 

there's this illusion of the reality, but it's not really really real, like it's beside and inside and inside and beside, but never on top.. nevermind, just kidding but not really

On 3/12/2024 at 12:19 AM, JB said:

Looks like this "Marvel" character owns half the town!

Actually it's Miss Almira Gulch who owns half the county. 

"Professor" Marvels is just a huckster, plastering his name on everything when actually this was the County Fairgrounds before he talked the County Commissioners into allowing him to manage it for a 'modest' fee.  They were undoubtedly impressed with his claimed friendships with the Crowned Heads of Europe you know...

8 hours ago, wolfpaw said:

Ahh my favorite thing about this project are your structures and buildings - they are SO good. Loving the theming and all the little details everyone is picking up on! 

Thanks wolfpaw!

While admittedly we made full use of the many wonderful structures people have uploaded to the Workshop, it as still like a puzzle to fit them all together, something Citytrader is great at as shown here on Main Street and Marvel's World.  Many things we did tweak, recolor or add onto to suit our purposes.

And while we DID use Workshop finds, we also scratchbuilt a large number of structures as well.

Here's one in Marvel's World that I'm quite proud of...it's the station for "Marvel's Kansas Balloon Co." 

E6VKmeB.png

In the original Goddard plans for an skyway, these were envisioned as having 'balloons' attached to each car.  Since that's not possible in Planet Coaster if you want the ride to actually function, we skipped the individual balloons but stuck with the theme.

8859Mmu.jpg

I scratchbuilt this based on a design that I saw on a sketch for Disney's unbuilt Discovery Bay expansion, where a similar structure would shelter the Hyperion airship.  My version is simpler of course, but the same basic shape anyways.  The ride carries guests from Marvel's World in Kansas to the Emerald City in Oz.

oINVCNp.jpg

It also helps block the sightlines towards the park's service areas too.

Not far from the entrance to the Kansas Balloon Co. is a side street that usually dead-ends  at a closed factory...

4o9l7yW.jpeg

Hmmm...seems like the closed and locked gates are open...perhaps we can do a little exploring later as long as we don't get caught?  But first there's more of Marvel's World and Main Street Kansas to see...and a visit to a certain farmhouse...

eTZBrHV.jpeg

Edited by Wabigbear
  • Love 2

And in case anyone is wondering about some of the signage -  both store signs on Main Street and the Kansas Balloon Co sign above - I made those using a wonderful site called Kittl.com  They let even someone like me create some really great graphics that can be turned into TMTK items. 

I highjly recommend them (and I get nothing for saying that!  LOL!)

• Haha 2

That skyway station is g o r g e o u s. I'm so jelly of your building skills, I really need to dab more into Planco parks 😆

• Love 2

there's this illusion of the reality, but it's not really really real, like it's beside and inside and inside and beside, but never on top.. nevermind, just kidding but not really

Ahhh, thanks for the kind words wolfpaw!

Here's the basic structure I built on my test bench...  The covered walkways were added once placed.

2laX8Vk.jpeg

RjTHUkn.jpeg

And this was the artwork of Tony Baxter's idea that I based it on...

GyKPI6D.png

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

""Professor" Marvels is just a huckster, plastering his name on everything when actually this was the County Fairgrounds."  Sounds like someone else we all know and 'love'. 🫤

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Planet Coaster often has rather opaque 'glass' in the windows of some of the in-game storefront pieces.  That's fine if you aren't detailing your interior to be seem during daylight hours (or don't bother to add an interior in the first place!).  But PC makes up for it with nice clear 'glass' at night when it's lit.  So here's a few screens showing some of the storefronts we've already visited...but under cover of darkness...

The moving picture theater...

P6EteKS.jpg

McKenzie's Music store...

2Uhrtow.jpg

The Kansas Travel Agency...

W2y4A6M.jpg

Kansas Sporting Goods...

OmnmCXE.jpg

The Gulch Gazette...

WkpIBht.jpg

The Candy Store...

usSdImi.jpg

Fleming Cigars (*Cough*  *Cough*  *hack*)...

9XqRnGO.jpg

The infamous Meat Market...

iPJoHbT.jpg

• Like 2

The nighttime candy store image reminds me of a vintage children's book illustration we had as a kid. It was 'vintage' even back then. (I was born in 1953, the book was probably published in the early 1930s; it had that look.)

Edited by JB
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

Heading back over to Main Street;

The center of town has a nice little square that features live entertainment;

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You can also pick up the horse drawn streetcar for leisurely ride around town;

image.jpeg

Edited by citytrader
  • Like 2

A pleasant and typically mid-west town square. And wow, that barbershop quartet really gets around! You see them in almost every park. They must be booked to appear somewhere every day!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JB said:

A pleasant and typically mid-west town square. And wow, that barbershop quartet really gets around! You see them in almost every park. They must be booked to appear somewhere every day!

My guess is that they are a knock-off cover band...never as good as the originals but certainly a lot cheaper to hire...

• Haha 1

The Main square really comes alive at night, love all the little details you guys have added around the buildings along the path walkways - loving this project so much!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

No, we haven't forgotten this...  Both have been busy with work (well, Citytrader anyways...), and also working on future benches for other parts of this park.  But I have some time to continue a little further on our tour of the Kansas section of the Wonderful World of Oz...

First, a view of where we left off, the hotel with the infamous meat market on it's ground floor...

ZVVzOsd.jpeg

The Millinery Shop on the corner...if those heads could talk!  (It would be totally weird if they could, but I digress...)

5NgfmCv.jpeg

Hailey's Haberdashery, where the smartly-dressed gentlemen get their wardrobes...

uAztsV8.jpeg

Just around the corner is the Hungry Dragon Chinese Restaurant...a touch of the exotic here in the center of Kansas!

ULMBChH.jpg

Next up is the MGM Grand Theater, where, surprisingly enough, The Wizard of Oz is the feature film...

j4nQzaT.jpg

Copies of actual theater promotional materials from the 1939 release adorn the theater...

AjMKmjd.jpg

A Chocolate Shop for those who didn't pig out on popcorn or Mike & Ike's during the film to stop by, along with a coffee shop and bakery for a little more substantial repast...

VmKEELo.jpg

Baum's Wonderful World of Books is a great place to curl up with a favorite tome...

oRe2IEP.jpg

Next door is a barbershop for a quick trim...

i2FAcuZ.jpg

City Drug stands ready to help with an upset stomach after all that candy, popcorn and Egg Fu Yung you pigged out on, as well as treatments for those embarrassing rashes you may have (their help on that is limited to ringing up your purchase, you have to apply any salves or ointments to those rashes yourself!)

Js3KcR1.jpg

Finally we'll take a quick overlook at this part of Main Street Kansas...

M15Oxg2.jpg

We'll add a few night-time screens here shortly...

• Like 2