Hello from me: JB.

JB

Hello everybody! I'm another refugee from Shyguy's World. So glad that wolfpaw tossed us all a lifeboat to keep the various communities going.

I might be the oldest member here, I just turned 70. I'm a Pacific Northwester living in Oregon. I like all things sci-fi and fantasy, also humor and some horror.

I've been into computers since the mid 1970s. My first computer (1978, I think) was an Atari 800 (8-bit) with a whopping 48 kB of RAM (that's kilobytes, not megabytes or gigabytes!). Around 1981, I upgraded to an Atari 130XE with 128 kB and became proficient at programming in one of the enhanced BASIC languages (Basic XE). I still use that computer from time to time.

My avatar, Ricky Rat, is an 8-bit character I created for a personal game I made called "Ricky Rat in the Hedgemaze" (around 1990). Ricky was conceived as Mickey Mouse's ne'er-do-well cousin.

I've been playing the RCT games since 2005. First, RCT3 (vanilla), then Soaked! and Wild! Yes, I bought all three games separately. Then Platinum, when it came out. Along the way, I also got RCT (OG) and its add-ons from the bargain bins at Office Max. RCT 1, 2, & 3 all have their pros and cons and I enjoy playing them all.

At Shyguy's World, I started (but didn't finish) a couple of RCT3 threads called "A Visit To Imaginarium- with the Peepertons" and "Lost Imaginarium". I'm planning on resurrecting them here at ParkCrafters soon.

• Like 2

Hey JB!   I think Citytrader has you beat, age-wise, by a century or three.  As he says "Age is only a number..."

Yeah, but when it's over three digits it's a big honkin' number"

It's wonderful to see you here as well, you're one of the few who takes time to make comments and observations on member's threads all the time which is always appreciated! 

Welcome to ParkCrafters! That's a lot of cool history you got there, would have loved to see the evolution of technology like you have!

there's this illusion of the reality, but it's not really really real, like it's beside and inside and inside and beside, but never on top.. nevermind, just kidding but not really

Thanks, Wagi. I do try to look at everything and comment on it (when the Muses smile upon me). Comments are the lifeblood to any site, especially so, to sites where creativity is the main focus.

Hi, Plokoon. Nice to see you here, too!

Hey, Wowman. Yeah, I think we both registered here on the same day. I haven't been posting here much, yet. I wanted to get comfortable with all the newness first. And I think I'm gettting to that point now.

Thank you, wolfpaw. And thank you for this site!

Hi, shyguy. I'm glad to be here. I know that our birthdays are just a day or two apart, but you're still in your 60s (I think). I'm in my 70s now. You're just a wee lad. 😛  Oh, and I liked the SGW smileys better, they were easier to see; simpler lines and with more contrast. Maybe it's just my 'oldster' eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

See... I go away a few weeks and I miss the official welcome thread for JB!

Great story on your background! A lady never tells her age, but if you take a look at my intro thread you'll see I know a thing or two about early PCs.

Good to have you and look forward to seeing your stuff!

• Like 1

The idea is to keep an open mind... just not so open that your brains fall out. - Harry Anderson

Hi, Roberta (is the ME required?). Don't stay away so long next time! ;-)  Yes, I did read about your early computer programming experience. You've got me beat, I never ventured into machine language. The HEX numbers, alone, left me scratching my head. I used a few machine language subroutines that others had already written; but that's about it. Thanks for the comment!

• Thanks 1