Glass - How Much is Too Much?

KickAir8p

Sorry for how vague this question is, and if it seems familiar to anybody it's because I asked it on the Steam forum a few weeks ago.

I'm doing another of my reworked custom scenarios, this one of the career scenario Downtown. That one's already scenery-heavy -- I'm maxing out the park area and expanding the city, taking advantage of the city-building sets in the Vintage, Studios, of course Ghostbusters, and probably World's Fair and Spooky DLCs (no longer "probably", using 'em).

My scenarios aren't the most popular out there, between the old-hat odor of a Career scenario rework and requiring some/most of the DLCs, I'm filtering out a bunch of potential subscribers right there. Also, although I've played Planco on a few low-end computers, I'm currently on a used-but-recent mid-range gaming machine, so I can't rely on "If I can play it then most anybody can" as a rule-of-thumb.

This has already got a version of Spook Central in it, with oh-so-many transparent glass windows and Colorable Panel Lits behind them. It's a beautiful effect, I'd like more buildings like that -- not planning on doing all the new stuff in the style, but want several throughout. But I know transparent glass is resource intensive, and I'm worried 'bout going overboard.

For example, this is my almost-complete version of the Sedgewick Hotel, working off of the version shown in the animated Slimer series:

screenshot.2023-08-2515.211320x320.jpg.576b78566c4ec6470576c81c53085af6.jpg

However, my City Public Library uses Opaque Glass Wall 4m Lit from the Studios DLC, which I'm thinking is probably less of a drag on FPS, and in many cases looks almost as good (sometimes better):

screenshot.2023-08-2516.131000x320.jpg.1f6a8b1178b41dffc2ad58c63fa57411.jpg

Any thoughts out there on how much transparent glass is too much?

Can't help you with your question, but I like your take on the hotel.

I believe it was Fisherman who said the game maxes out at about 200,000 pieces. On my fairly decent machine, I start to struggle at about 160,000. Takes up to a 20 minutes to load a park, and then crawls. Forget about peeps! I try to avoid billboards, but sometimes just can't, but haven't heard much about the glass itself being a problem. I think it's more just a total piece count thing.

Of course, I'm probably totally wrong, and I just have a lame machine!!! 🤣

• Like 2

It would be my guess...and only a guess...that using something like the Opaque Glass Wall 4m Lit that Frontier designed specifically for use at night would be a better choice than depending on something behind glass panels for a similar look - at least for large scale usage.  For a building or two I think you are okay.

Of course there are times when glass just is a better choice for what you are trying to do. 

Wonderful buildings!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wabigbear said:

. . . using something like the Opaque Glass Wall 4m Lit that Frontier designed specifically for use at night would be a better choice than depending on something behind glass panels for a similar look . . .

But Frontier's art-devs used that method in one of Frontier's scenarios (if we're gonna call Story Mode that), after the devs supposedly improved Cobra's handling of transparent glass well enough that they release a bunch of pieces using it across four DLCs, starting with Studios, which also included the Opaque Glass Wall 4m Lit, and their art-devs themselves didn't use the method till Ghostbusters . . . I'M SO CONFUSED!

But thanks for that, and:

1 hour ago, Wabigbear said:

. . . Wonderful buildings! . . .

Aw shuck, glad you like 'em!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, citytrader said:

Can't help you with your question . . . the game maxes out at about 200,000 pieces. On my fairly decent machine, I start to struggle at about 160,000. Takes up to a 20 minutes to load a park, and then crawls. Forget about peeps! I try to avoid billboards . . .

I beg to differ, that's more helpful than I thought to ask for.  I've now checked, the scenery count is currently less than 40,000, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep the final count (for the scenario, not for anybody's playing park) under 80,000.

19 hours ago, citytrader said:

. . . but I like your take on the hotel.

Thanks, had fun making it.  The interior's decorated, with space for a hotel lobby in the middle where it and the approach paths will be surrounded with decor, and I'm hoping it'll support a 20 room 5 star hotel at 100% scenery (haven't tried yet.)

Edited by KickAir8p