Is there a tutorial on how to use the New Topic/Comment box?

JB
Go to solution Solved by wolfpaw,

Hi. 🙂  So, many of the things in the New Topic/Comment box are easy to understand, like Text Size, Bold, etc.. But is there a tutorial somewhere (here or elsewhere) that explains what all the features are and how to use them? Like, are there any other Fonts we can use besides the default? What can I do with the Code "</>" icon? Things like that.

I'd like to be able to use all the features that ParkCrafters has to offer when posting new topics or comments, to make things more interesting for the readers. If I knew the name of the engine that this site is structured on, I could probably find a pre-existing tutorial somewhere online. Or perhaps some nice (and knowledgeable) person here can clue me in? I think others would be interested in this as well.

• Thanks 2

I've had a couple of people ask me how to insert images and embed videos into posts as well, I will probably make a tutorial on this and what all the options in the editor do very soon! Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

there's this illusion of the reality, but it's not really really real, like it's beside and inside and inside and beside, but never on top.. nevermind, just kidding but not really

• Solution

The tutorial has been posted and you can find all the information for posting content on ParkCrafters here! If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I can help you out. Thanks for the suggestion!

there's this illusion of the reality, but it's not really really real, like it's beside and inside and inside and beside, but never on top.. nevermind, just kidding but not really

• 2 months later...

Having used up my allowance for posting images (I wasn't even aware there was such a limit...maybe should make that plainer?), I've tried uploading to Imgur, but it doesn't seem to work. I add the image url to the editor as the instructions say, but the box just turns red and it doesn't attach it to the post...

1 hour ago, Wabigbear said:

Having used up my allowance for posting images (I wasn't even aware there was such a limit...maybe should make that plainer?), I've tried uploading to Imgur, but it doesn't seem to work. I add the image url to the editor as the instructions say, but the box just turns red and it doesn't attach it to the post...

Hmm, it should work - it's working on my end. Are you sure you're getting the actual image direct link? If you have any screenshots of what you're seeing on your end feel free to attach them so I can take a look!

I know the file limit on images/uploads has been discussed before so I'm currently looking into it to see if there's a way to make it a more viable option for users.

• Like 2

Nope, none of the links seem to work from Imgur. 

I'm assuming that I place the link in the box after clicking on 'Other Media" at lower right where you otherwise drag files to?  I select 'Insert Image From URL', paste it, click enter, it turns red and does nothing else.

I wasn't complaining about the file limits - they make perfect sense, just didn't see it specifically spelled out what the limits are, as I don't always read every post made, which is where it's likely been discussed before and I just missed it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wabigbear said:

Nope, none of the links seem to work from Imgur. 

I'm assuming that I place the link in the box after clicking on 'Other Media" at lower right where you otherwise drag files to?  I select 'Insert Image From URL', paste it, click enter, it turns red and does nothing else.

Don't use the "Other Media" button. Here's a snip from Imgur - the "Direct Link" option outlined in green is what you want to copy/paste here into the post field:

Screenshot2023-09-13093856.png.44f18e2ebb1c25c1370356b5af476630.png

And here's the image after I paste the link directly into this post:

lhgRBy2.jpg?1

Edited by Kablary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

kQngDQ2.png

Actually it was because I use the desktop version and it was set to the new version of the site, thus there was no "Direct Link" url available. I finally figured out how to change back to the old design, and the links now show.  Strange!  But now it works anyways...thanks for the help!

TIilf6T.jpg

Yea, if you post a direct link directly into the editor it should automatically embed! That's interesting that it's not working through the other media feature - will look into that!

I will also still look into a way to better allow members to upload their own images and attachments as well. The storage quota for members is filling up faster than I originally thought... I guess this isn't 2010 anymore where people upload 720p images, haha. Thanks for bringing this all up and will look into some of the errors!

• Like 1